On Thursday was Grandma's visitation and on Friday was the funeral. It felt so weird to be having all of this as I don't know if it has fully hit me yet. There were so many people at the visitation that they filled the whole parking lot and then some. Grandma was so loved and touched so many peoples lives over the years. The funeral was beautiful. Like Grandpa said "Grandma would have liked it". We miss her dearly but know she is in heaven and is waiting for us. There were many tributes read at the funeral and here is the one I wrote.
When I was young Grandma would take me shopping and let me pick out new clothes and take me to Cub foods to pick out my favorite foods. I spent several nights at Grandma’s when I was young and we would stay up late, talk, eat and play games. In high school Grandma and Grandpa came to many of my volleyball games. In college Grandma sent me care packages. As I grew older Grandma became someone I would frequently call for advice. We shared many tears and much laughter over the years. I remember the time when Grandma and Grandpa met my now husband and how much it meant so much to me to have their approval. Grandma was an amazing Grandmother to our 2 year old son Preston and he loved to sit on her lap and have her play with him, read to him or share a snack.
When we got the news that Grandma had cancer our world felt like it came crashing down. We prayed daily that the Lord would heal her. She never gave up trying to beat cancer and her faith in God was shown to be unwavering. It always amazed me how she never complained. I’ll never forget when she removed her wig and I saw where her hair once was. We cried together and she said to me “Really I am ok”, and I know the Lord will take me home someday and I will be ready.
When Grandma had her stroke we were able to spend time with her. She was still the same Grandma as she always was and she played with my hair, rubbed my arm, and when I cried she wiped away my tears. I will miss her sweet touches and long to hold her hand once more.
So much of me longed for her to see and hold our soon to be baby girl who will be named Audrey, but through Grandma I know that God’s way is perfect. I promised Grandma that we would do our best to raise Audrey to be just like her.
Although know one can ever replace Grandma we can live by her example and seek to love others and God the same way she did.
Grandma I miss you and I can’t wait to hug you once again.
Grandpa thank you for the love you showed to Grandma over the years and the example you set for all of us. Your relationship and faithfulness is one to be desired. We love you.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, Shelley, I was so touched by your note here. I'm so sorry about the loss of your Grandma, but how wonderful to know that you'll see her again. I know exactly what you mean about being so sad that she won't meet Audrey. I feel the same way. My grandma has been gone for 4 months, and it still hasn't hit me yet either. I'm sure the loss will be hard for your grandpa as it has for mine - he says the loneliness at nights is the hardest. But God is so good through it all. I'll be praying for you - those pregnancy hormones don't help anything, do they?? Can't wait to hear your news in the next 3 wks - I've got 7 to go but would love to come early again!! We'll see. Take care!
what a beautiful post. your family is in my thoughts. love you.
That was very beautiful what you wrote about your grandparents, it brought tears to my eyes. My thoughts are with you and your family
Post a Comment